Monday, May 24, 2010

Sharing The Good News!

When we first found out we were pregnant, it took every ounce of strength not to go out and tell every person we met the good news. Initially I had wanted to wait until we were 12 weeks pregnant before sharing the news with everyone, because I tend to be a worrywart (and this is why I must refrain from googling every twinge and cramp I feel). Of course, we could not hold onto our special news this long. I am pretty sure we were going to burst with excitement.

When my doctor's office called to confirm that we were indeed having a baby, Chris and I looked at each other and bolted out the front door into the van. We both were thinking the same thing, "We have to tell the family!". We had no idea if either family was home, so on the way, I called, making up some lame excuse as to why we were stopping by. I believe I may have said Chris had a business meeting in town.

It's funny to think about all the planning I was doing on how we were going to share the news with our parents. We thought, "Let's decorate the baby room, invite them over to see our new "furniture" and then, "Surprise!! It's a baby's room!" or "We'll go over in shirts that say, "Hi Grandma and Grandpa!". We even toyed with the idea of reenacting the A&W commercial, where the son orders his dad the Grandpa burger. I imagine this is how life will be from now on. We'll plan big things, dream big dreams, but when it comes down to it, the big, showy ideas will not always be the most practical or realistic. Of course we want to do things in exciting ways, and will want the best for our little Muppet...but no matter what we do, our best intentions are all that matter, and that we act out of pure love. Not everything wonderful in the world turns out the way you plan...and sometimes that's what makes it even more magical.

Telling my parents was one of the most nerve wracking experiences ever. My mother, who is already a grandmother, has been dreaming of us having babies of our own, probably since...forever ago. One of the stories she's fond of sharing is of me at Christmas when I was little. Apparently when she asked me what I wanted for Christmas, all I would say is, "I want a baby and a cake!". So while my mother was peeling potatoes in the kitchen, and my father was sitting at the table, and my siblings were all mulling around I said, "Hey mom! I know what I'm getting for Christmas!" She continued peeling her potatoes absentmindedly and said, "Hm?" I looked at her and replied, "I'm having a baby! Now all I need is a cake!".....silence. She continued peeling her potatoes. I had to go over to her and tell her that indeed we were pregnant and that it was due sometime in Decemeber. Finally she believed me and started to cry, then everyone else was crying (or thought we were joking). It was quite the scene. I don't know if she ever thought her dream would come true.

Telling Chris' parents was a totally different scene. We left my parent's house to go and have dinner with Chris' family at a local restaurant. Because our parents both live in such a small town, I was wary of us sharing the news in a public place. I think Chris was also concerned about that, as well as really nervous, so when we got out of the car and met everyone in the parking lot, he just blurted out, "We're having a baby!" The look on everyone's face was priceless! There was a lot of screaming and hugging, and I kept loudly proclaiming, "Yes, we're excited about getting a new PUPPY as well...!" I don't think I fooled anyone with that story. We are quite excited because Chris' sister is also expecting, so our little ones will be able to grow up together and share all their "firsts" with each other.

Later that evening, the Grandparents all got together and we talked the night away, reflecting on past experiences, helpful advice and the good things to look forward to. It was one of the happiest days ever.

We ended up sharing the news with Chris' brother and fiance who are now living in San Francisco, CA over Skype, which is still so new to me. It's very cool that you can share such important news with people you love no matter where they are! We really can't wait until we're all together again at Christmas though.

April 15, 2010
=^..^=

No comments:

Post a Comment