Saturday, July 10, 2010

Remembering Meme


My Grandmother, or Meme as we called her, was the most extraordinary woman I have ever met. She could be very stubborn, and self sacrificing, and always made you want to better yourself...to be a little bit more like her.

She passed away on July 8, 2010 at 98 years of age. Though none of us wanted to see her go, we knew deep in our hearts it was what she wanted...that she had suffered long enough and had already enjoyed life to the fullest. Part of me never thought this day would come, as she just kept holding on all these years. Another part of me was just selfish and wanted the comfort of knowing that at least she was around somewhere, even if I didn't get to see her all that often. Mostly, I just wanted her to meet Little Muppet and see her eyes light up as she held my little baby, because everyone who knows Meme, knows how much she loves children. In her life she was surrounded by many children. She had a large family of her own, and they went on and had many too (my mom had 6 of her own). She had many grandchildren, and great-grandchildren, and they brought so much joy to her life. All of us live on with a little piece of her in our hearts. I know that I will always carry her laugh, her smile, her cute little eskimo kisses and her constant teasing of my love for my ratty baby pillow, with me forever. I will share with my own little one, the values and morals that she stood so proudly for, and take her/him to my Meme's true home, Prince Edward Island whenever I have the chance, so she/he can feel the wonder and beauty that Meme truly loved and embraced with her whole heart.


She was a strong and inspiring woman, raising a wonderful, close knit family who know the importance and power of family, acceptance, forgiveness and unconditional love. Through her, so many life lessons will be passed down from generation to generation. She appreciated the little things in life, and I think that is so important. The currency in life that mattered most to her was the love from her family...a hug from a grandchild, a card from a friend. Always cherish the small, simple things in life, because those truly are the most rewarding gifts you can receive, gifts that come from the heart.

I will miss Meme so much, but I will never forget her. She will live on in our family gatherings, in our loving exchanges, in our fiddling music, in our spiritual lives, in the red sand of PEI, and in our children. Thank you Meme, we love you so much! XO


http://bit.ly/bxN3rP

=^..^=

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss, Manders. This was really well-written, and full of love for you Meme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for you loss Amanda. Sounds like she ws an extraordinary woman.

    ReplyDelete